SATURDAY SERIES: YOGA FOR BACKCARE - fully booked
A collection of 6 special classes (from 25 April 2020) focusing on supporting lower back health, pelvic (sacro-iliac joint) stability and core integrity.
So-called 'non-specific lower back pain' is experienced by so many these days. It can arise or be exacerbated by, for example, increased sitting (especially common now), working at a desk, stress, lifting/carrying, driving, running, pregnancy, childbirth, gardening, high mobility and everyday postural habits. It can also be caused or aggravated by uninformed yoga alignment, cues and assists, particularly in asymmetrical poses and 'flow' sequences.
In this special series we'll cover all regular bases; from establishing helpful awareness and postural habits off and on the mat, to how to practise skilfully and gently to support and strengthen appropriate musculature, protect ligaments and joints and release tension. All within the context of healthy functional movement patterns and the body's natural intelligence.
We'll also dispel some myths about the core. Rest assured, this series is not about abdominal crunches.
Each class will offer simple practices to explore further in your own time, should you wish. You'll be able to apply and benefit from this knowledge, felt understanding and practice in your everyday life, personal practice and regular yoga classes.
An outline of each week's class is given below.
Limited spaces available to allow for individual attention as far as online instruction permits.
Please note: this series is not designed to address serious back conditions that require or have received medical intervention. Please consult your healthcare provider in advance if you are in any doubt about participating, and inform Carol if you wish to enrol. This series is not suitable for pregnancy.
Saturdays, 10-11 am (UK). Via Zoom.
Class dates: 25 April, 2 / 9 / 16 / 23 / 30 May 2020
How to book:
You are welcome to book the whole series or individual classes. It is recommended to take part in all six classes to experience the greatest benefits.
(If you currently have limited means and would like to join, please email me.)
What to bring:
Yoga mat, block/brick (or cushion), yoga strap/belt, bolster (or pillow), 2-3 blankets, chair, optional eye pillow (or scarf) and muscle release ball (or hot water bottle or hand towel).
Once you've booked, you'll receive a private link to join the class via Zoom. Please download the Zoom app here in advance if you don't already have it.
Just click on your link up to 5 minutes before the start time to join the class.
Series Outline - Yoga for Backcare
Week 1 – Natural Curves, Sensing and Symmetry
• respecting our individual anatomy in standing, sitting, sleeping and weight-bearing posture
• sensing the breath and front/back/side body dynamics, breathing to support our centre
• symmetry, anchoring and inquiry for 'switching on' the core naturally
• reducing discomfort and pain
Week 2 – Stabilising the Pelvis
• releasing tension and tightness: the psoas and piriformis muscles
• progressive practices to support and reset the sacrum and hips (sacro-iliac joint) and strengthen surrounding structures
• subtle energy centres
Week 3 – Strengthening the Lower Back
• releasing tension in the neck and shoulders
• therapeutic backbends for long-term back health
• reinforcing pelvic stability and core integrity
• technique for optimal forward bending
Week 4 – Healthy Twists
• biomechanics of twisting, how to twist comfortably in daily life, and safely in standing and seated yoga poses
• reinforcing pelvic stability and lower back health
Week 5 – Asymmetrical Poses and Planes of Movement
• enjoying optimal mobility with stability, through all planes of movement
• reintegrating asymmetrical poses into our practice, with appropriate whole-body engagement
• adapting what is commonly taught in yoga classes, what to avoid and for how long
Week 6 – Full Practice
• integrating all the series’ practices
Each class will begin with supportive breath practice and end with tailored relaxation. Key exercises will be revisited regularly to aid assimilation. There may be a little practical homework!
Looking forward to seeing you. Honoured to share these practices at this time.
If you have questions at any time, please contact Carol.